Friday, September 25, 2020 to Sunday, September 27, 2020
2020 U.S. Cadet (Invitational) ONLINE Championship
Sept 25-27, 2020
$1,200 prize fund
and to the winner: $6,000 scholarship to the college/university of choice!
Invitation is based on April 2020 supplemental ratings for Top Age under16, the winner of the Barber Championship and an organizer wild card.
- IM Justin Wang (USCF ID: 14930904 - rating: 2540)
- IM Christopher Yoo (USCF ID: 15244943 - rating: 2540)
- IM Andrew Zhang Hong (USCF ID: 14941904 - rating: 2533)
- FM Robert Shlyakhtenko (USCF ID: 14951916 - rating: 2459)
- IM Arthur Guo (USCF ID: 14772092 - rating: 2446)
- FM Maximillian Lu (USCF ID: 14732597 - rating: 2431)
- FM Christopher Shen (USCF ID: 14432243 - rating: 2424)
- WCM Rui Yan - organizer wildcard (USCF ID: 15462690 - rating: 2242)
Format: 7 rounds of Round Robin
Time Control: G/70+10
USCF Online regular rated - affecting online USCF Online regular rating. (not OTB rating!)
Tournament dates & Round times:
- Virtual Opening Ceremony - Friday, Sep 25: 3PM PT / 6 ET
- Round 1 - Friday, Sep 25: 4PM PT / 7 ET
- Round 2 - Saturday, Sep 26: 9AM PT / 12 ET
- Round 3 - Saturday, Sep 26: 1PM PT / 4 ET
- Round 4 - Saturday, Sep 26: 4PM PT / 7 ET
- Round 5 - Sunday, Sep 26: 9AM PT / 12 ET
- Round 6 - Sunday, Sep 26: 1PM PT / 4 ET
- Round 7 - Sunday, Sep 26: 4PM PT / 7 ET
Pairings will be posted on Sep 24, Wednesday, 12PM ET.
The tournament is using:
- USCF Online chess rules (Chapter 10)
- USCF pairing table for 8 players round robin format (USCF Table C)
Details on online play, fair play screening measures will be posted soon.
Tiebreak system adapted from Saint Louis Chess Club:
- 1. Direct Encounter (if applicable)
- 2. Most Blacks
- 3. Koya System
- 4. Sonneborn-Berger
- 5. Won Games.
No Playoff will take place: prizes will be split according to standard US Chess Rules.
Scholarship will go to first place based on the tie-break scores.
Prize Fund: $1,200
1st Place Champion: $600
2nd Place: $400
3rd Place: $200
*** $6,000 scholarship prize has been offered to the college of choice to the winner of the Cadet Championship ***
The winner will receive from the Dewain Barber Foundation a $3,000 scholarship to an institution of higher learning.
US Chess will match this donation with $3,000.
In the event of a tie, the Scholarship winner shall be determined by the tiebreaks used for each event.
All players will also receive a 1-year extension of US Chess membership, as part of Mr. Barber's donation towards the event.
The organizer would like to thank the generous donation of Mr. Dewain Barber, the Dean of Scholastic Chess and to US Chess Federation.
Ties will be handled per USCF rules and prizes will be paid out accordingly.
Fair play measures
All players required to have two cameras:
1) "angled" webcamera: showing their computer screen they are playing on, as well as their surrounding, including themselves from the side.
2) face camera: this should be from the same computer as they are playing form.
Webcam test session will be available during Friday daytime or pre-arranged times.
Games will be reviewed by GM in residence, Dr. Ken Regan, and chess.com experts.
Any violation to fair play will be reported to US Chess' ethics committee, and violators may face severe punishments.
Chief TD: NTD John McCumiskey
Organizers & Assistant Chief TDs: STD, FA Abel Talamantez, and STD, FA Dr. Judit Sztaray
Questions? contact the organizers at chessroom at milibrary.org or call at 415-393-0110.
SwissSys Wall Chart. 2020 Cadet: Cadet
|#||Name/Rating/ID||St/Tm||Rd 1||Rd 2||Rd 3||Rd 4||Rd 5||Rd 6||Rd 7|
|1||WCM Ruiyang Yan||CA||B 7||W 6||B 5||W 4||B 3||W 2||W 8|
|2242 15462690 (1744)|
|2||IM Andrew Zhang Hong||CA||B 6||W 5||B 4||W 3||W 8||B 1||W 7|
|2533 14941904 (1804)|
|3||FM Maximillian Lu||CT||B 5||W 4||W 8||B 2||W 1||B 7||W 6|
|2431 14732597 (2368)|
|4||IM Justin Wang||TX||W 8||B 3||W 2||B 1||W 7||B 6||W 5|
|2540 14930904 (1996)|
|5||IM Arthur Guo||GA||W 3||B 2||W 1||B 7||W 6||B 8||B 4|
|2446 14772092 (1391)|
|6||IM Christopher W Yoo||CA||W 2||B 1||W 7||B 8||B 5||W 4||B 3|
|2540 15244943 (2058)|
|7||FM Christopher Shen||OH||W 1||B 8||B 6||W 5||B 4||W 3||B 2|
|2424 14432243 (1948)|
|8||FM Robe Shlyakhtenko||CA||B 4||W 7||B 3||W 6||B 2||W 5||B 1|
|2459 14951916 (2054)|