Tuesday, April 23, 2024
Tuesday, April 23, 2024
In-Person Over-The-Board Event
USCF- & FIDE-rated 3+2 BLITZ event
Open for everyone!
Date & Location -- Tournament Format -- Byes -- Prize Fund
Registration -- Eligibility -- Tournament Rules -- FAQ
Tournament capacity: 80 players.
Masks are optional in the chess room.
- Tuesday, April 23, 2024 at 7pm (please note that it's 30 minutes later than the usual TNM start time)
- Location: Mechanics' Institute Chess Room
57 Post Street, 4th Floor
San Francisco, CA 94104 (click here to map)
- Tournament Format: Swiss System
- Total Rounds: 5 rounds of double games (5DSS)
- Players will play TWO games in one round: against the same opponent with alternating colors.
- Total of 2 points for every round. Maximum score for the tournament is 10.
- First Round: 7:00 pm and consecutive rounds are on a rolling schedule. Estimated end-time: 9:00 pm.
- Time Control: G/3+2 (Game in 3 minutes with a 2-second increment with each move.)
- Games will be US Chess blitz rated and FIDE blitz rated. Tournament results will be submitted immediately after the last round is finished.
- Sections: One Open section.
- Pairings are based on the higher of Apr 2024 OTB supplemental regular US Chess rating.
- Byes are available for players in case they can't participate but would like to stay in the tournament.
- Byes can be requested for a maximum of 2 rounds, with receiving one point for each round (half point for each game in a round).
- Late registrations will receive two half-point byes for any missed round, up to a total of 2 rounds.
|Best Under 1800||$75|
|Best Under 1300||$50|
- Please allow 2-3 weeks for processing prize checks.
- Per IRS rules anyone with a cumulative $600+ prizes in any calendar year will need to fill out a W9 and Mechanics' Institute will be providing a 1099 form.
- Mechanics' Institute Member: $20
- Non-Member: $30
- $5 admin fee for all cancellations & refunds.
- Click HERE to Register: https://mechanics-institute.jumbula.com/2024Tournaments/2024SpringSplashBlitz
- Players must have current US Chess Federation membership. Expiration date of their US Chess membership must be later than the last day of the tournament.
- Not sure if you have a membership? Need to check the expiration date of your members? Visit: https://new.uschess.org/player-search
- Become a member or renew your membership: https://new.uschess.org/join-us-chess
- FIDE blitz rules apply.
- Forfeit time is 3 minutes.
- What do the time controls mean?
Time controls tell you how much time you have for each game.
G3+2 means game in 3 minutes with a 2 second increment with each move from move 1. This means you get 3 minutes, your opponent gets 3 minutes, and at each move the clock adds 2 seconds to the player's time.
- How many games/rounds?
The 5DSS before the time control means it is a Swiss System tournament with five rounds, with two games in each round games. This makes it a total of 10 games played in this tournament. The tournaments are never elimination, so win or lose, you can stay in the tournament.