Tuesday, March 5, 2024 to Tuesday, April 16, 2024
2024 Spring Tuesday Night Marathon
Mar - Apr 2024
US Chess & FIDE-rated event
Standings -- Pairings -- Complete list of games (pdf&pgn)
Dates -- Tournament Format -- Byes -- Prize Fund
Registration -- Eligibility -- Tournament Rules -- FAQ
Max capacity: 80
Masks are optional in the chess room.
Pre-TNM Lectures are back! Arrive at 5:45pm and listen to FM Paul Whitehead or a guest speaker covering some of the exciting news from the chess world as well as interesting games from our own tournaments!
NEW: Any change/update request? Please use our new Change Request Form.
- Seven Tuesdays in Mar - Apr 2024: 3/5, 3/12, 3/19, 3/26, 4/2, 4/9, 4/16
- Location: Mechanics' Institute Chess Room
57 Post Street, 4th Floor, San Francisco, CA 94104 (click here to map)
- Tournament Format: individual Swiss
- Total Rounds: 7 (1 round each Tuesday night: 3/5, 3/12, 3/19, 3/26, 4/2, 4/9, 4/16)
- Round Times: Tuesday at 6:30 pm Pacific Time (GMT+8)
- Time Control: G/120;d5 (Game in 120 minutes with 5-second delay on each move.)
- Games will be US Chess regular-rated as well as FIDE-rated. Tournament results will be submitted immediately after last round finished.
- Four Sections: 2000+, 1600-1999, 1200-1599 and under1200
- Pairings are based on the Mar 2024 regular supplemental regular US Chess rating.
- Play-up "200-rating point rule":
Players must have a 1800 USCF regular supplemental or actual regular rating in order to be eligible to play up to the 2000+ section.
Players must have a 1400 USCF regular supplemental or actual regular rating in order to be eligible to play up to the 1600-1999 section.
Players must have a 1000 USCF regular supplemental or actual regular rating in order to be eligible to play up to the 1200-1599 section.
- Byes are available for players in any rounds in case they can't participate that evening, but would like to stay in the tournament.
- A maximum of three half-point byes can be requested in this tournament.
- Round 1-6 byes must be requested prior to the pairing of the round. Pairings usually are posted shortly after noon on Monday, the day before the round.
- Round 7 bye must be requested before start of Round 4. Round 7 bye is irrevocable to prevent possible prize-fund manipulations.
- Late registrations will receive a half-point bye for any missed round, up to a total of three rounds.
- Please allow 2-3 weeks for processing prize checks.
- Per IRS rules anyone with a cumulative $600+ prizes in any calendar year will need to fill out a W9 and Mechanics' Institute will be providing a 1099 form.
- Mechanics' Member: $70
- Non-Member: $100
- Play-up: $15 for members, $20 for non-members.
- $5 admin fee for all cancellations & refunds.
- Click here to register: https://mechanics-institute.jumbula.com/2024Tournaments/2024SpringTuesdayNightMarathon
- Players must have current US Chess Federation membership. Expiration date of their US Chess membership must be later than the last day of the tournament.
- Not sure if you have a membership or need to check its expiration date? Visit: https://new.uschess.org/player-search
- Become a member or renew your membership: https://new.uschess.org/player-search
- Modified FIDE-rules apply.
Forfeit time is 30 minutes without prior notice, 60 minutes if we are notified.A player will be awarded a forfeit win against any opponent who doesn't show up according to the prescribed rules, and every effort will be made to find that player an extra game.
- What do the time controls mean?
Time controls tell you how much time you have for each game.
G120;d5 means game in 120 minutes (aka 2 hours) with a 5-second delay on each move. This means you get 120 minutes, your opponent gets 120 minutes, and at each move the clock counts down from 5 to 0 before the player's time starts. If a player doesn't use up the whole 5 seconds, the remainder of that time is lost.
- How many games/rounds?
The 7SS before the time control means it is a Swiss System tournament with seven rounds, or seven games, that a player can play in the tournament. The tournaments are never elimination, so win or lose, you can stay in the tournament.
- Players Database
For players who are interested in playing in our tournaments, please fill out our players database: https://forms.gle/X3hChCWbusHp4Ze56 to get email notifications about last-minute changes and invitational opportunities.
- Complete list of games
We will publish the complete list of games after they have been processed.
Check back each Monday to see any new uploads:
TNM PDF file PGN file Round 1 Round 2 Round 3 Round 4 Round 5 Round 6 Round 7