Saturday, April 1, 2023
Saturday, April 1, 2023
In-Person Over-The-Board Event
Open for everyone!
Date & Location -- Tournament Format -- Byes -- Prize Fund
Registration -- Eligibility -- Tournament Rules -- FAQ
UPDATED effective 5/28/22: ALL players must wear a mask while in the chess club.
- Saturday, Apr 1, 2023
- Location: Mechanics' Institute Chess Room
57 Post Street, 4th Floor
San Francisco, CA 94104 (click here to map)
- Tournament Format: Swiss System
- Total Rounds: 4
- Round Times: 10AM, 12PM, 2PM, 4PM
- Time Control: G/40;d5 (Game in 40 minutes with a 5-second delay at each move.)
- Games will be US Chess regular-rated. Tournament results will be submitted immediately after the last round is finished.
- NEW: Three sections: 2000+, 1600-1999, under1600 & unrated players
- Pairings are based on the Apr 2023 OTB or ONL supplemental regular US Chess rating. The higher rating will be used for pairing purposes.
- Play-up rule: Players must have an 1800 USCF OTB or ONL supplemental rating in order to be eligible to play up to the 2000+ section, and players must have a 1400 USCF OTB or ONL supplemental rating in order to be eligible to play up to the 1600-1999 section.
- Byes are available for players in any rounds in case they can't participate but would like to stay in the tournament.
- Max of 2 half-point byes can be requested in this tournament.
- Round 1-2 byes must be requested 15 minutes prior to the round start time.
- Round 3-4 byes must be requested before the start of Round 1. Round 4 bye is irrevocable to prevent prize-fund manipulations.
- Late registrations will receive a 0.5 bye for any missed round, up to a total of 2 rounds.
4. UPDATED Prize Fund -- $1000 based on 60 paid entries --> adjusting based on the 3 sections coming soon!
- Please allow 2-3 weeks for processing prize checks.
- Per IRS rules anyone with a cumulative $600+ prizes in any calendar year will need to fill out a W9 and Mechanics' Institute will be providing a 1099 form.
- MI library member: $40
- Non-MI library member: $50
- Play-up: $15 for members, $20 for non-members.
- $20 late fee
- $5 admin fee for all cancellations & refunds.
- Click HERE to Register: https://mechanics-institute.jumbula.com/2023Tournaments/21stKonigMemorialChampionship
- Players must have current US Chess Federation membership. Expiration date of their US Chess membership must be later than the last day of the tournament.
- Not sure if you have a membership? Need to check the expiration date of your members? Visit: https://new.uschess.org/player-search
- Become a member or renew your membership: https://new.uschess.org/join-us-chess
- Standard US Chess rules apply.
- Forfeit time is 40 minutes.
- What do the time controls mean?
Time controls tell you how much time you have for each game.
G40;d5 means game in 40 minutes with a 5-second delay on each move. This means you get 40 minutes, your opponent gets 40 minutes, and at each move the clock counts down from 5 to 0 before the player's time starts. If a player doesn't use up the whole 5 seconds, the remainder of that time is lost.
- How many games/rounds?
The 4SS before the time control means it is a Swiss System tournament with four rounds, or four games, that a player can play in the tournament. The tournaments are never elimination, so win or lose, you can stay in the tournament.
- Players Database
For players who are interested in playing in our tournaments, please fill out our players database: https://forms.gle/X3hChCWbusHp4Ze56 to get email notifications about last-minute changes and invitational opportunities.