Tuesday, September 6, 2022 to Tuesday, October 18, 2022
TBA Memorial Tuesday Night Marathon
Sept - Oct 2022
Dates -- Tournament format -- Byes -- Prize Fund
Registration -- Eligibility -- Tournament Rules -- FAQ
All attendees must wear masks and bring proof of vaccination. Please do not email us vaccination cards. Players not fully vaccinated or who have a medical exemption must take a rapid test on site. Please reach out to us prior to the event if this is the case.
Capacity will be capped at 60 players in order to be able to space the boards out.
Pre-TNM Lectures are back! Arrive at 5:45pm and listen to GM Nick de Firmian or FM Paul Whitehead covering some of the exciting news from the chess world as well as interesting games from our own tournaments!
Special Guest on March 8: IM John Donaldson will do the pre-TNM lecture and also will have his newest book for sale.
- Seven Tuesdays in Sept - Oct 2022:
- Location: Mechanics' Institute Chess Room
57 Post Street, 4th Floor, San Francisco, CA 94104 (click here to map)
- Tournament Format: individual Swiss
- Total Rounds: 7 (1 round each Tuesday night: 9/6, 9/13, 9/20, 9/27, 10/5, 10/11, 10/18)
- Round Times: Tuesday at 6:30PM Pacific Time (GMT+8)
- Time Control: G/120;d5 (Game in 120 minutes with 5-second delay on each move.)
- Games will be US Chess regular-rated. Tournament results will be submitted immediately after last round finished.
- Sections: 1800+ and under1800.
- Pairings are based on the Sept 2022 OTB supplemental regular US Chess rating.
- Play-up: Players must have a 1600 USCF OTB or ONL supplemental or actual rating in order to be eligible to play up to the 1800+ section.
- Byes are available for players in any rounds in case they can't participate that evening, but would like to stay in the tournament.
- A maximum of three half-point byes can be requested in this tournament.
- Round 1-5 byes must be requested 60 minutes prior to the round start time.
- Round 6-7 byes must be requested before start of Round 3. Round 7 bye is irrevocable to prevent possible prize-fund manipulations.
- Late registrations will receive a half-point bye for any missed round, up to total three rounds.
- Please allow 2-3 weeks for processing prize checks.
- Per IRS rules anyone with a cumulative $600+ prizes in any calendar year will need to fill out a W9 and Mechanics' Institute will be providing a 1099 form.
- MI library member: $60
- Non-MI library member: $90
- Play-up: $15 for members, $20 for non-members.
- $5 admin fee for all cancellations & refunds.
- Click here to register: coming soon
- Players must have current US Chess Federation membership. Expiration date of their US Chess membership must be later than the last day of the tournament.
- Not sure if you have a membership or need to check its expiration date? Visit: https://new.uschess.org/player-search
- Become a member or renew your membership: https://new.uschess.org/player-search
- Standard US Chess rules apply.
- Forfeit time is 60 minutes: if player is not present at the board by 7:30pm, the opponent will be awarded a forfeit win.
- What do the time controls mean?
Time controls tell you how much time you have for each game.
G120;d5 means game in 120 minutes (aka 2 hours) with a 5-second delay on each move. This means you get 120 minutes, your opponent gets 120 minutes, and at each move the clock counts down from 5 to 0 before the player's time starts. If a player doesn't use up the whole 5 seconds, the remainder of that time is lost.
- How many games/rounds?
The 7SS before the time control means it is a Swiss System tournament with seven rounds, or seven games, that a player can play in the tournament. The tournaments are never elimination, so win or lose, you can stay in the tournament.
- Players Database
For players who are interested in play in our tournament, please fill out our players database: https://forms.gle/X3hChCWbusHp4Ze56 to get email notifications about last-minute changes and invitational opportunities.
- Complete list of games
We will publish the complete list of games after they have been processed.
Check back each Monday to see any new uploads:
TNM PDF file PGN file Round 1 Round 2 Round 3 Round 4 Round 5 Round 6 Round 7