Thursday, September 2, 2021 to Thursday, September 16, 2021
Thursday, September 2, 2021 to Thursday, September 16, 2021
September 2, 9, 16
USCF Online Regular Rated event via Chess.com
Open for everyone!
Standings -- Pairings -- Google Sheet
Platform -- Dates -- Tournament format -- Byes -- Prize Fund
Registration -- Eligibility -- Tournament rules -- Fair Play -- FAQ
- The tournament is played on Chess.com.
- Free account is sufficient to play in the tournament. No Chess.com account yet? Easy to make, just follow the instructions below.
- See Eligibility for more details on chess.com accounts.
- Three Thursdays: Sept 2, 9, 16
- Tournament format: individual Swiss
- Total Round: 6 rounds --- 2 rounds each night
- Round times: each Thursday 6:30PM & 8:00PM Pacific Time (GMT+8)
- Time control: G/35+5 (Game in 35 minutes with 5 second increement with each move.) -- Please note the NEW increment setting!
- Games will be US Chess online regular rated - tournament will be submitted 7-14 days after the tourament to allow all games to be screened for fair play.
- Sections: one Open section
- Pairings are based on the Sept 2021 OTB or ONL supplemental regular US Chess rating. The higher rating will be used for pairing purposes.
- Pairings for each round are posted on a Google Sheet as well as here.
3.A. How to Play?
- Welcome email is sent out before the tournament that explains all the details how to play in the tournament. Be sure to provide a correct email when registering for the event!
- Players must be logged in to chess.com AND stay on chess.com/live at the start of the round and wait for their game to pop up!
- Players must NOT engage in any play (game, challenge, other touranment).
- Games are MANUALLY STARTED by the Chief TD and will automatically pop up for every player. White's clock will automatically start, and games will NOT be aborted due to no move.
- Tournament Help Desk is available for any player who needs to get in touch with the Chief TD. Zoom link to the Help Desk is shared with every player regsitered for the event.
- NEW: communication channel for the players to interact with each other is now available through Discord.
Please connect via: https://discord.gg/mbb2cwzU9w
- Byes are available for players in any rounds in case they can't participate but would like to stay in the tournament.
- Max 3 half-point byes can be requested in this tournament.
- Round 1-4 byes must be requested 15 minutes prior to the round start time.
- Round 5-6 byes must be requested before start of Round 1. Round 6 bye is irrevocable to prevent prize fund manipulations.
- Late registrations will receive a 0.5 bye for any missed round, up to total 3 rounds.
- NEW Increased Prize Fund: $1000 based on 50 paid entries
- Prizes are paid out after fair play review has been completed, and results are finalized.
- Please allow 2-3 weeks for processing prize checks.
- Per IRS rules anyone with a cumulative $600+ prizes in any calendar year will need to fill out a W9 and Mechanics' Institute will be providing a 1099 form. More details coming soon.
- MI library member: $30
- Non-MI library member: $50
- $5 admin fee for all cancellations & refunds.
- Players must have current US Chess Federation membership. Expiration date of their US Chess membership must be later than the last day of the tournament.
- Not sure if you have a membership? Need to check the expiration date of your members? Visit: https://new.uschess.org/player-search
- Become a member or renew your membership: https://new.uschess.org/player-search
- Players must have a chess.com account in good standing. Any previously closed account must be disclosed to the organizer by sending a confidential email to [email protected]
- Standard US Chess rules apply, with special focus on the Chapter 10 Online Chess rules.
- NEW: Announced variation:
When a player is removed due to fair play violation, scores will be adjusted as follows:
1. If two or more rounds remain, all opponents of the disqualified player will receive a win by forfeit, unless they defeated the disqualified player, in which case they will retain a rated win.
2. If the tournament has concluded, or if there is only one round remaining:
The last opponent of the disqualified player will receive a win by forfeit.
Other opponents who lost to the disqualified player will receive a half-point bye.
Other opponents who drew with the disqualified player will receive a win by forfeit.
Anyone who defeated the disqualified player will retain a rated win, instead of a forfeit win.
- Forfeit time is 15 minutes: if player is not logged in by 6:45pm and 8:15pm, respectively, the opponent will be awarded a forfeit win.
- Fair play screening: all games will be screened by both Chess.com and by Dr. Kenneth W. Regan, Department of Computer Science and Engineering, University at Buffalo.
- US Chess online rated tournament - most USCF rules and consequences apply.
- Players should not use any outside assistance: not have other browsers open and not be talking to other people during their games
- Parents are strongly encouraged to monitor their kids' activity during the tournament to ensure fair play.
- Players found or believed to be violating fair play are not eligible for a prize and their account will be removed from Mechanics' group.
- Players who are confirmed to be using outside assistance will be reported to US Chess and restricted from future Mechanics' online and over-the-board events.
- Parents - Please help us educate your child that IT'S SIMPLY NOT WORTH THE RISK!
- The Organizer and/or the Chief Tournament Director can require players to play their games with a camera that records the player playing with a view to the screen. Players should be prepared to provide this precaution if asked to do so.
- Prize distributions and rating submission will take place AFTER all games have been screened.
- What are the time controls mean?
Time controls are telling you how much time you have for each game.
G35+5 for example: Game in 35 minutes with 5 second increment. This means you get 35 minutes, your opponent gets 35 minutes and with each move every player gets 5 second added to the clock. So one game can last up to 70-80 minutes.
- How many games/rounds?
The 6SS before the time control means how many rounds, i.e. how many games can a player play in the tournament. The tournaments are never elimination, so win or lose you can stay in the tournament.
- Do I need to join the club on chess.com to play?
No, but it's highly recommended.
https://www.chess.com/club/mechanics-chess-club-uscf-online-rated - we provide regular updates and news on that channel, as well as occasional free tournament.
- Players Database
For players who are interested in play in our online tournament.
PLEASE fill out our online Players database: https://forms.gle/X3hChCWbusHp4Ze56 to get email notifications about last minute changes and invitational opportunities.
"As always thank you for directing another wonderful tournament. My goodness, you’ve attracted a lot of strong players.” Tom M.
Prizes. September 2021 Thursday Night Marathon Online: Open
|#||Name||Cash||Prize credited to pool|
|1||Gadir Guseinov (5.5/2563)||144.00||Place: 1 - $144|
|4||Max Gedajlovic (5.0/2264)||108.00||Place: 2 - $108|
|2||Bala Chandra Prasad Dhulipalla (4.5/2475)||72.00||Place: 3 - $72|
|11||Bryan Hood (4.0/1574)||36.00||u2000/1 - $36;
u1600/1 - $36;
2-way split of $73: $36 each
|17||Katherine Sunny Lu (3.5/1390)||36.00|
|10||Casimir Dudek (3.5/1649)||18.00||u1800/1 - $36;
2-way split: $18 each
|9||Matthew Chan (3.5/1658)||18.00|
|21||Ian Liao (3.0/1161)||12.00||
u1400/1 - $24
|19||Austin Jin (3.0/1318)||12.00|
SwissSys Standings. September 2021 Thursday Night Marathon Online: Open
|#||Name||Handle||ID||Rating||Rd 1||Rd 2||Rd 3||Rd 4||Rd 5||Rd 6||Total||Prize|
|3||Bala Chandra Prasad Dhulipalla||Swarnapuri||30100858||2475||W11||W8||W4||D1||L2||W13||4.5||72.00|
|9||Katherine Sunny Lu||2Nf31-0||16425316||1390||L7||W26||D8||D11||D14||W16||3.5||36.00|
|16||Kevin M Fong||chessappeals||17254586||1750||D12||D10||W18||L5||D17||L9||2.5|
|21||Alex C Durig||zandor2323||12729479||1290||H---||H---||L5||L17||L19||W24||2.0|
|25||Cleveland W Lee||vincitore51745||12814843||524||H---||H---||L13||L19||U---||U---||1.0|
SwissSys Standings. September 2021 Thursday Night Marathon Online: Extra Games
|#||Name||Handle||ID||Rating||Rd 1||Rd 2||Rd 3||Total|
virtual - chess.com