Tuesday, October 20, 2020 - 4:00pm to Tuesday, November 24, 2020 - 5:00pm
Mechanics' Institute Chess Club
Get Those Chess Boards Out
6-week course for beginner players
As parents, many of us now see kids staring at a screen for hours during the school day. We understand having another online class may not be so exciting. What if we are able to offer a class for beginners where they can feel and interact with the pieces to capture an important part of the early learning experience?
That's why we are introducing a new class for our young, beginner players!
Let's get those chess boards out and use it during the class!
Coach Colin will interact with the players via zoom, but they will talk, use the chess board, set it up and set up different positions, and learn and play on a physical board. No shared screen during the class! It's all interactive, using physical chess pieces!
Fall session: October 20 through November 24
Fee: $120 - 6 classes (prorated $20/class)
Class time: Tuesdays 4 - 5PM
Class Level: ideal for beginner players
Topics: players will review the following:
- board and its orientation
- pieces and their values, movements, and captures
- goal of the game and algebraic notations
- phases of the chess games and basic opening principles
- basic checkmating patterns
Platform: Zoom meeting - link will be sent via email.
Equipment: Students should have their own physical chess board and set next to the computer. They should be able to have enough space to follow coach's instructions and make the neccessary movements and setup on the chess board.
Class is coached by Coach Colin
Our chess enrichment program focuses on two important areas with our fun chess classes:
1) Developing chess skills: Teaching chess to beginners and providing advanced instruction to experienced players, thus improving critical thinking, calculations and problem solving in a fun and supportive atmosphere.
2) Developing social and emotional skills: promoting good sportsmanship and learning from mistakes, the values of ethical and fair play, and other valuable life skills that benefit kids beyond the chessboard.
Virtual chess class: all our instructors are trained in using the most current online platforms in providing quality online learning that is both fun and engaging. Students meet the coach via password protected zoom meeting.
Students are also engaged via online play against each other through a secure platform, chesskid.com, which is ideal for rising players to practice playing. In our team approach, each class’ lead coach is supported by an assistant who helps parents and kids to make sure everyone is logged in and has all the tools ready.
Our professional and experienced staff is trained to teach students of all levels, from beginner to advanced, and keep chess classes engaging and fun throughout the semester. They are fully background checked, TB tested, and we offer a full curriculum plan.