Made possible by the generous donation from Ganesan Ramu.
This scholarship was established to encourage girls to regularly participate in uscf rated touranemnts.
Scholarship will be wared to three girls: one from each of the following rating groups: under500, under1200 and 1200+.
It will be applied for 6 months, offering the girls one free tournament entry in each month, total of 6 free tournament entries.
All other applicants, who did not get the scholarship, will be given one free tournament entry of their choice.
A printed certificate will also be given to each winner.
- Application period OPEN: June 15 - June 30, 2019
- Committee decision: by July 4, 2019
- Scholarship period: July 1 - Dec 31, 2019
- Application period: Dec 1 - Dec 15, 2019
- Committee decision: by Dec 30, 2019
- Scholarship period: Jan 1 - May 30, 2020
Some of the rubrics the commitee is looking for:
- Contributing to Chess:
- writing articles
- creating puzzles
- bringing a "buddy" to a tournament
- encouraging girls to get involved/play chess
- Tournament activity:
- how often, and how many rated games in the past month/quarter/half-year
- "warrior" of chess - playing in at least 6 tournaments in the past 6 months
- "adventurous" player - playing at least one out of state touranment in the last 6 months.
- Anything else we might want to know about the candidate?
Ganesan Ramu, donor
Judit Sztaray, Senior TD, 2017 Organizer of the year by US Chess
Abel Talamantez, Director of the Chess Club at Mechanics' Institute
To be announced on July 4th, 2019.
About WIM Ruth Haring
We have named this scholarship after WIM Ruth Haring, becuase of the enormous impact she has made in chess, and her dedication of women's and girl's chess.
She had an amazing career in chess, and worked diligently and tirelessly for US Chess and Northern California Chess.
Read her bio on wikipedia.
Read Mike Klein's article on Ruth's live on chess.com.
Read the New York Times arbituray on her.