Marcel Proust's In Search of Lost Time (also known in English as Remembrance of Things Past) is a monumental, seven-volume novel that Edmund White calls, "the most respected novel of the twentieth century." SFSU Professor of Comparative & World Literature, Mark Calkins has led the Proust Seminar at the Mechanics' Institute Library since 2001. In February 2019, the Seminar continues with the fourth volume of the novel, Sodom and Gomorrah.
- The group meets on the 2nd and 4th Wednesdays of the month from 5:30pm to 6:30pm at Mechanics' Institute.
- This semester will begin on February 27, 2019 and end July 24, 2019.
- Registration is open to all.
- Mechanics' Institute members pay $70 for each 5-month session;
- Members of the public pay $100.
- This cycle, Dr. Calkins will use Penguin edition of Sodom and Gomorrah. However, any translation is acceptable.
Contact Myles at firstname.lastname@example.org or 415-857-6721 with questions about registration, or contact Dr. Calkins with questions about the group.
Jul 20 - 11:00am
Jul 27 - 11:00am