Our corporate and foundation partners provide essential support for our vibrant library, renowned chess room, and engaging literary and cultural events.
Some of the programs your partnership will help to grow and succeed include:
- Youth Chess Outreach Program — Established by the Mechanics' grandmaster-in-residence, the program began in 2013 at Marshall Elementary in the Mission District with 10 boys and girls; it now takes place in 20 public schools across San Francisco — serving approximately 500 students each week. The program brings chess instruction into elementary, middle, and high schools, with a focus on socioeconomically disadvantaged areas of the city.
- Annual Scholastic Chess Tournament — Each spring, approximately 250 children from across San Francisco participate in our scholastic chess tournament in Golden Gate Park. Participation in the tournament is free to all.
- Meet-the-Author Event series — We host over 50 author events each year. Past luminaries include Colm Tóibín, Daniel Ellsberg, Joyce Carol Oates, Maxine Hong Kingston, and Daniel Handler.
- Library — Our library's collection includes over 160,000 volumes, as well as media and digital resources.
- Writers Lunch — a monthly free workshop series led by authors on a variety of topics on the profession of writing.
Thank you to the following corporations, businesses, and foundations for gifts made between September 1, 2018 and June 30, 2019:
Chevron Matching Gift Program
The Craft Foundation
First Republic Bank
Institute for Historical Study
Leroe Family Charitable Foundation
Michelle and Robert Friend Foundation
The Morris and Alma Schapiro Fund
Raff Beverage, LLC
Thomson Reuters Matching Gifts Program
For more information, please email [email protected] or call 415-393-0105.