The Mechanics’ Institute Library provides its members and nonmembers with a quiet and convenient place in which to take a proctored examination for school, college, or a professional association.
Proctored examinations may be scheduled Monday through Friday, from 9 a.m. and ending by 5 p.m.
Here is what you need to do to take your proctored examination at the Mechanics’ Institute Library:
- Please email firstname.lastname@example.org at least one week in advance of the exam date to make an appointment for taking your examination and include the following information:
- the school, college/university or organization sponsoring the exam
- the course name and number
- length of exam
- indicate if it is a paper or online exam
- any pre-exam paperwork/forms that must be completed
- We will respond to your request within 3 working days
- Contact the organization requiring the exam to advise them where and when you will be taking the examination and who will be administering it.
- For paper exams, the examination materials will be sent directly to the Library staff member administering the examination. The student or the sponsoring institution must provide a return envelope and postage for exams that require mailing, although we prefer to scan and email completed exams.
- For online exams, we will provide a laptop for you to use during the exam.
Library staff will contact you when your test materials are received at the Library and will confirm your examination date and time. If for some reason you need to reschedule your examination date, you must contact both the library and the organization giving the test.
The Library's Proctor Fee is payable at the time you take the examination. We do not invoice for exam fees. Be aware that cancellations or rescheduling of appointments with less than 1 week notice will result in a fee to cover administration costs associated with cancellation/rescheduling appointments.
Per-Exam Fees effective January 1, 2019:
- ≤3 hours = $120 members / $190 nonmembers
- 3.5 – 6 hours= $205 members / $295 nonmembers
- 6.5 – 8 hours = $260 members / $390 nonmembers
The Library accepts:
- Personal checks (California residents only, name and current address must be printed on check)
- Credit cards (Visa or MasterCard)
To schedule an exam, please contact:
Deb Hunt, Library Director
Heather Terrell, Library Manager