Mechanics’ Institute Library & Chess Room
The Mechanics’ Institute (MI) is seeking a seasoned professional to continue the excellent member service and experienced library management created and led by the current Library Director, who retires in late July 2013.
The Institute, founded in 1854, occupies a unique place in San Francisco history. Originally founded to provide technical education for mechanics, it has evolved into a vibrant, full-service general interest library offering a diverse range of lectures, programs, and classes as well as an historic Chess Room and an events venue that support the interests of both the membership and the San Francisco community.
Located at 57 Post Street at the intersection of the City’s financial and shopping districts and in close proximity to multiple forms of public transportation, the Institute is perfectly placed to provide a diverse range of services and events. The Library’s 160,000 volumes, periodicals and AV materials are housed in a landmark historical structure enjoyed by the 4,500 members, guests and building tenants.
The Position: Library Director
- Is responsible for the overall management of all library functions and reports directly to the Executive Director
- Directs and leads a team of 14 FTE library employees with assistance from the Library Manager and HR. This includes staff hiring, evaluation, professional development and training
- Oversees collection development responsibilities of the staff librarians, including evaluation of technical processing procedures and costs, online catalog enhancements, and member instruction
- Supports librarians in the development and implementation of programs enhancing members’ interests and collection use; manages fee-based, non-staff led classes for members; supports writers group formation; collaborates with MI Events Director and Building Manager on planning facility use
- Prepares and administers library budget of $1 million
- Assists Building Manager with the creation of the Institute’s capital budget based on assessment of facility use and infrastructure needs
- Administers Library restricted bequests and the endowed book funds
- Engages in regular strategic planning to create short and long-term library goals and provides leadership to staff in accomplishing associated objectives
- Responds to member requests and concerns; prepares written and oral reports to the Board of Trustees on a monthly basis; presents the library report at the Institute’s annual membership meeting; participates on Board Committees as requested; approves final marketing materials; and contributes regularly to all MI print and online publications
- Is actively involved in local and national professional associations such as the Bay Area Library Information Network (BAYNET) and the Membership Library Group
- A Master's Degree in Library Science from an ALA accredited institution
- Three to Five years of supervisory experience
- Demonstrated administrative capabilities in both budget and personnel management
Compensation and Benefits:
- The Salary for this position is $80,000
- Benefits include generous health-dental-vision insurance, paid vacation, holidays, and a 403b pension plan
The Ideal Candidate:
- Leads by empowering staff to be creative in fulfilling delegated responsibilities and providing excellent customer service in a public service environment
- Experienced in project management, including capital projects with associated financial aspects, and short-and long-term strategic planning in determining staff needs responsive to a changing environment
- Demonstrates collaboration with professional peers in working toward common goals and in creating, implementing and managing joint projects such as technology improvements, building upgrades and programming coordination
- Possesses fundraising, grant writing and outreach skills
The Hiring Process:
To be considered for this position, please print the employment application, fill it out, and return it, along with a cover letter and resume, by 5 p.m. Pacific Standard Time on Monday, April 29 to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to: Library Director Search, Mechanic’s Institute Library, 57 Post Street, Rm. 504, San Francisco, CA 94104. All application materials must be received by this deadline.
Applicants selected for an interview will be notified in early May, and interviews will be scheduled at notification.
The anticipated start date for this position is mid-July 2013.
Please send any questions about this recruitment to: email@example.com.