About the Mechanics’ Institute
The Mechanics' Institute, a 501(c)(3), was founded in 1854 and is one of San Francisco's enduring arts and culture institutions. Described by the San Francisco Chronicle as a "vibrant cultural oasis," the Mechanics' Institute is a literary and cultural hub for the Bay Area. The Mechanics' Institute has nearly 5,000 members, serving individuals and families throughout the Bay Area, offering a magnificent library, the oldest chess club in the United States, and a full calendar of events.
The Mechanics’ Institute seeks a full-time End User Support Specialist II. The ideal candidate is responsible for providing customer service, technical assistance, system maintenance, and general support related to computer systems, hardware and software, and peripherals. The ideal candidate will maintain service throughout the Institute including hands-on assistance and desktop support. Reporting to the Operations Director, the Specialist collaborates with a small group that works in providing excellence in operations and end user experience. The position requires strong customer service, technology, and organizational skills.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Supports use of Windows-based desktop environment and associated networked equipment in-house, on public workstations, and to those in remote offices.
- Provides technical support and training to staff and members who use Institute systems for their day-to-day activities.
- Responsible for the maintenance, configuring, installation, and deployment of desktop infrastructure, hardware, and software.
- Provides helpdesk and communications support. Maintains a high level of customer service with members and staff. Responds to inquiries via phone, email, and in person.
- Troubleshoots and resolves hardware and software related issues, hard disk failures, data recovery, security updates, and other technology related services. Works with IT staff and vendors when escalating.
- Coordinates with IT staff in managing central services, accounts, and permissions (e.g. Active Directory, Windows network, G Suite, Microsoft Azure, etc.).
- Administers local and cloud servers used for file sharing. Performs routine back up of essential systems.
- Participates in the documentation of programs, databases, and computer system configurations.
- Assists with Institute programming in-house and online, including audio/visual equipment, streaming services, and special events.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Strong working knowledge of installing, configuring, and troubleshooting computer systems and applications.
- Experience working with different operating systems including Windows and Mac OS.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Active Directory and group administration.
- Experience with management and troubleshooting of servers and cloud services, monitoring and security procedures, instituting backup policies, and DNS management a plus.
- Excellent customer service skills – ability to communicate with staff, guests, and members in a friendly and professional manner by phone, email, and in person.
- Ability to manage multiple projects, set priorities, and meet deadlines. High attention to detail.
- Strong organizational, problem solving, and time management skills.
- Ability to work well independently and as part of a team.
- Keeps current with developing technology, best practices, and emerging trends.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
Compensation and Benefits
- This is a full-time exempt position
- Salary is commensurate with experience
- 100% employee medical coverage and other paid benefits
- Membership to Mechanics' Institute
- Send cover letter and resume to email@example.com and include “End User Support Specialist II” in the subject line
- Desired salary (a range is fine)
- Position will remain open until filled
- No phone calls please
Mechanics' Institute promotes a culture of inclusion and seeks talented staff from diverse backgrounds. The Institute does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, sex (including the actual gender or perception of sex identity, appearance or behavior), sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristics legally protected by federal, state, or local laws and regulations.