Wednesday, August 4, 2021 - 4:00pm to 5:30pm
Mechanics' Institute Chess Club
Classes - Clubs - Camps - Tournaments
If you wish to get updates on our offerings, including classes, camps, and tournaments,
please fill out our google form: https://forms.gle/ZDhJB9cQHZkEo4h86
What's new? Check out our Summer Camp and Summer Classes!
Summer Chess Camp Schedule:
- online via zoom - zoom link is shared in the Camp Welcome Eamil a few days before camp
- in person @ MI: these camps will be held live, in-person in the historic Mechanics' building at 57 Post Street, SF.
Type of Camp:
Regular: Ideal for all chess lovers or anyone who is interested in chess! For beginners, we'll show you how to play and basic rules in a fun learning environment. While intermediate students, those who are under 1000 USCF rating or under 1200 ChessKid rating, will build on their basics with seeing game examples, learn and work on tactics, learn how to strategically open a chess game and to defend common opening traps, and of course get to play with other kids who are learning chess as well! Regular camps will include an advanced group once we reach enough students (x number of students).
Advanced: Ideal for players with USCF 1000+ rating, or 1200+ ChessKid rating. Players should know the pieces and how they move, basic checkmating patterns, opening principles and ideally have experience with USCF rated tournaments. Students will see game analysis of masters games, work on tactical patterns, learn opening theory, and have opportunities to play new and old friends.
** All camps need a minimum 5 camper to hold the camp. Decision to cancel the camp in case under-enrollment will be made Friday evening the week before. Please register ahead of time to make sure we can plan accordingly.
Camp Registration Fees:
- Online: $225/full week camp.
- In-person: Morning or Afternoon half day (3hr): $225 or $450 full day (6hr)
- Advanced Online: 3 hours: $275/full week
- In-person Online: 3 hours: $300/full week
Camp Registraiton Fees:
- Online: Full refund minus a $5 administration fee if cancelled more than 24 hours before the start of class. No refunds within 24 hours of the start of class.
- In-person: Full refund minus a $5 administration fee if cancelled more than 5 days before the start of the camps. 50% refund if cancelled within 5 days of the start of the camp. No refund if cancelled on the day of the camp.
Summer Chess Classes ONLINE
Summer Session: 10 classes - week of Jun 14 to Aug 20
|All Girls Class
with Coach Colin
|Intermediate Class with Coach Andy||Thursdays 4-5PM
|Advanced Class with Coach Andy||Thursdays 5-6PM
|Tactics, Tactics, Tactics with Coach Andy
for players rated 1000+ (ChessKid rating)
Note: minimum 5 students to start the class, maximum 10-12 student in each class.
Information with link to join the class will be sent via email after your registration.
Classes are online: student must have laptop, with mic and webcam, and good internet connection in order to participate in classes!
Refund policy: Full refund minus a $5 administration fee if cancelled more than 24 hours before the start of class. No refunds within 24 hours of the start of class.
Aug 9 - 4:00pm
Aug 16 - 4:00pm
Aug 23 - 4:00pm