Wednesday, August 28, 2019 to Wednesday, November 20, 2019
The Wednesday Night Blitz Chess Tournament
(August 28th, 2019 thru November 20th, 2019)
First round starts promptly at 6:45 pm
(1st Wednesday of each month at 5:45pm)
Regular entry time: 6:30pm-6:45pm
(1st Wednesday of each month: 5:30pm-5:45pm)
(Late entry now okay; no entry cut-off time)
Now Open to Non-Members
- 5 round (6 round if time and number of players permits) single game Swiss System; double round Swiss system on first Wednesday of each month. Players ranked by approximate strength at organizer’s discretion.
- Mechanics’ Institute 4 th Floor Chess Club, 57 Post Street, San Francisco
- Time Control: G/3min (w/2sec inc) preferred if supported by clock being used; otherwise G/5min (no inc.) if no other clock is available. If clock malfunctions and players cannot agree on remaining time left, a clock with 1 min (2sec inc) or G/2min will be substituted.
- Tournament will follow WBCA rules
- Entry Fee (Cash only-exact amount appreciated): Members $7 with clock; $8 without clock; Non-Members $9 with clock; $10 without clock
- Cash Prizes (All players eligible to win): 1st place 50%; 2nd place 30%; 3rd place 20% of all base entry fees ($7 per player) collected. Highest placing player bringing a clock gets the clock money.
- Any prizes not claimed from the previous Wednesday Night Blitz at the following week’s Wednesday night Blitz before it ends will then be added to that week’s prize fund.
- Late Entry/Bye Policy: There is no longer any late entry cut-off time. Late arriving players will be immediately paired with an unpaired player (if there is one).
- Any late arriving player must be available to play their game(s) if they are less that 3 minutes late for the round. On 1st Wednesdays of each month 1 game +1/2 point bye if they are 3-13 minutes late with the on-time player getting a one point bye for the first game of that round not played. Players arriving too late to play a game in either round 1 or 2 will receive a 1/2 point bye for each unplayed game. Players that are initially unpaired at the start of a round will get a full point bye for each unplayed game if they remain unpaired at end of that round. Rounds end when all initially paired players for that round have finished.
- If you want more information or to receive the weekly email about the event, contact Jules Jelinek at firstname.lastname@example.org .
- Please absolutely no bicycles allowed in the Mechanics’ Institute building.