Mechanics’ Institute has adopted the following rules of conduct to protect the members who wish to use the Institute’s facilities without unnecessary and inappropriate interruptions or disturbances, promote service of the members’ interests by the Institute’s staff, ensure the safety of members and staff, and maintain the security of Mechanics’ Institute property.
- Threatening, abusive, or harassing language or behavior is prohibited.
- Speaking in loud voices or engaging in conversation that disturbs other users is prohibited.
- Members must be fully clothed, including footwear, at all times.
Filming and Photography
- Photographing, filming, or audio/video recording on Institute property is prohibited without prior written approval from the Executive Director or Director of Operations. Additional approval is needed from the Library Director or Chess Room Director, depending on recording requirements.
- Damage, misuse, or theft of Mechanics’ Institute’s materials and equipment is prohibited.
- Material that is the property of the Mechanics’ Institute, including equipment and library materials, must be used in the building only, unless checked out at the second or third floor Circulation Desks.
- Personal items such as backpacks, shopping bags, and electronic device cables may not be placed in a way that obstructs aisles, stairs, or exits.
- Objects larger than 14”H x 8”W x 24”L, such as luggage, large back packs, or oversized duffel bags may not be brought into the building without prior permission from building management.
- Personal items are not the responsibility of the Mechanics’ staff and should not be left unattended.
Library, Chess Room
- Eating and drinking anything other than water in a resealable container is prohibited in the library or in the chess room, except during designated special programs and events.
- Use of cellphones or other electronic devices to engage in phone conversations or virtual meetings is prohibited in the library and in the chess room.
- Headphones must be used to watch video or listen to audio in the library and the chess room.
- Headphones and other devices are prohibited during chess tournaments.
- Children under the age of twelve years should not be left unattended.
- The presence of animals, other than certified service animals, is prohibited.
- Persons under the influence of alcohol or illicit drugs are not allowed in the building.
- Smoking is not permitted inside the building or within 15 feet of the lobby entrance.
- Unreasonable use of rest rooms, including laundering and bathing, is not allowed.
- Soliciting is not permitted in the building.
- Bicycles or other similar devices are not allowed in the building. Skateboards, folding bicycles, collapsible scooters, roller skates, or other similar devices may be carried into the building but should not be rolled. They must stay at the side of the owner at all times.
- Members, tenants, and visitors entering the building between the hours of 6pm and 8pm on weekdays and all day on weekends must sign in and out at the lobby desk.
- Members must leave the premises at the direction of a staff member.
Violations of the rules of conduct will result in the suspension and possible loss of membership privileges. Unlawful activities will be subject to official disposition by law enforcement agencies.